Wednesday 24 September 2008

Wednesday lunchtime...

I was at a flamenco company last night at the Queen Elizabth Hall; terrific. Fabulous guitar-playing, singing and brilliant dancers, and because they all get carried away and did lots of encores they over-ran by about 40 minutes so I was fairly late home and am now knackered. The atmosphere was marvellous; the slightly wow-y amplification, the audience cheering and whooping, the couple in front of me necking, the amount of drink being brought into the auditorium (I've never seen this before at the QEH!) - it was all powerfully reminiscent of being in a dodgy spanish nightclub, and brought back my six months in Granada with intense vividness. The women's ridiculous dresses were wonderful, too, making them look like respectively a costume doll, a very animated sea-slug, and Morticia Addams.
I'd love to go back to Granada some time; ideally for Las Cruces, when the whole city turns itself out of doors and makes a fiesta in every square for three days. >sigh< Happy memories...
Coming home on the tube, I was seized by a sudden desire to start a magazine. It would have to be a quarterly initially, to give me time to put an issue together, but I found myself thinking of all sorts of things I could put in it and people I could get to contribute, and getting raher excited. Watch this space. Goddess only knows if I can do this, but it feels like a living idea...

No comments: