Wednesday 26 January 2011

Luvverly Bit Of Kit, Missus?

I've been given a gadget, and it has made a small revolution in my life.

Normally I'm not a gadget person; my father was, Baby Bro is; I'm a bit gadget-shy and also not at all keen on the "latest must-have" side of the consumer society I live in. I would literally never have gone out and bought one of these things, because a) I'm gadget-shy, b) I would have expected it to cost £200, and I could get a long weekend in Paris for that, and c) I didn't know they existed in the first place.

It's a thing called a portable diskette drive (I think that's the right name). It's a wee black box with a bit of cable hanging off one end and a slot for a floppy disk on the other. And using it, I can take the floppy disks that are all my ancient laptop at home will use, and transfer material from them to this slightly-less ancient computer at work. So I no longer need to trail out to West Ealing to London's scrubbiest internet café in order to upload or print off any writing I've been doing at home.

This probably wouldn't mean much if I weren't steadily trickling my way through typing up and revising "Ramundi's Sisters" and working on two other magnum opuses (magni opi?). But to a writer with out-of-date equipment, being able to get those bits of equipment to talk to each other is wonderful. So I love my gadget; it's a lovely Bit Of Kit! And if anyone wants to read two thirds of the aforementioned sicilian romantic epic, or fancies about half of the very loco real-world/fantasy clash "Midnight in the Café Tana", or the first four chapters of fairly straight (if slightly talky) SF "Fortitude", just let me know...

2 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

you are funny.
i don't like gadgets either. at all!!

Imogen said...

I think I'm coming round to this one, though...