Saturday 23 March 2013

The Metamorphosis, Linbury Studio Theatre, ROH, London

I saw the revival of this last night and it is one of the most brilliant pieces of theatre I’ve ever seen.

It has actually got better since the first run; which is astonishing, considering the first run was already brilliant.  Edward Watson’s performance as Gregor Samsa is unbelievable - almost literally unbelievable; I do not know how he physically does some of the things he does. Choreographer and director Arthur Pita takes Kafka’s story and shows it as a metaphor for terminal illness, suicidal depression, mental breakdown, PTSD - the agonised destruction of a human being… It’s utterly harrowing, so be warned, if you are going, take tissues.

I believe I'm right in saying that tonight is the last night of the run.  If you can beg, borrow or steal a ticket, go!

No comments: