Monday 8 February 2010

Determined to be buoyant


You will gather, I'm trying resolutely to be cheerful and to look for things to laugh about. It's meant to keep me from fretting, since I have reason to fret just at the moment.

Yesterday afternoon, coming home from Morrisons in Acton (yes, apart from The Geek's birthday bash it was that exciting a weekend), I dumped my bag of shopping in the rack near the driver and was making my way down the bus to find a seat, using the overhead straps for balance. The bus jolted; I lurched and wrenched on the strap, and a sharp pain stabbed through the Mount of Venus on my left hand. The good hand. Or perhaps I should say the "good" hand, since it now isn't very good at all; it hurts like heck and I can't move my thumb properly any more. So I now have two damaged hands and am feeling pretty frustrated and frankly a bit scared.

What happens if whatever it is I've pulled in my left hand gets worse? Because my right hand, twitching about on the end of the rigid rusted-shut hinge that is my right wrist, ain't much use at present.

Managed to sublimate these self-absorbed worries for a while last night by watching "La Belle et la Bête" and marvelling again at what an extraordinary piece of film-making this is. How much Cocteau achieves with such slight means! How weird and wonderful the psychology of the story is, and how rich the black-and-white photography looks! And how marvellously sexy and scary and moving The Beast is. By gum, Jean Marais had presence, even under that make-up job. Perhaps I should say, especially under that make-up job...

1 comment:

Miss Robyn said...

I hope the 'good' hand is ok & healing.. do you ever get hand massages or at least try to massage each hand yourself? there is a product called emu oil which is fantastic for us as we 'get older'.. I know that it would be near impossible to do it for your self right now, but even a nightly handcream massage? ok, enough lecturing xo
(by the way, my heart breaks for my grandsons, I know that marriage breakups are a fact of our life now - I have been through one, but it just makes me sad for my grandchildren.. so thankyou so very much for your lovely heartwarming words xo)