Tuesday 9 February 2010

Knit up those ravelled sleeves...

There's a lovely article in this month's "Resurgence" on knitting as an art form. Here's to the reappropriation of neglected feminine crafts!

Here's, too, to lush colour, to orchids and bromeliads and the joy of being in a hothouse on a miserably cold day; take a look at this for a fun film of a bunch of my Kew colleagues speeded up (including my friend Katrina - very briefly - blink and you'll miss her). They're setting up one of the displays for what behind the scenes we call Tropex; the annual Tropical Extravaganza. Yes, I know a real Tropical Extravaganza would include Cuban musicians and dancers, and a lot of mojitos, rum collinses, helado de coco and fresh tropical fruits; nonetheless, I am plugging my place of work, because even without the salseros and rum I think Tropex deserves a plug. Come and feast your eyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knitting! In my childhood everybody did it - it was creative, useful and didn't require immense skill. But I was no good at it. I always say that's why I took up writing. Everyone needs a creative outlet.
AliB

Miss Robyn said...

my mum knitted alot and I use to but don't now.. although I did knit myself a scarf last winter.
winter coming up for us soon, so I might knit something again!

Imogen said...

I too was hopeless at knitting; yet was good at macramé, darning, woolly-ball making, embroidery and dressmaking. My grandmother thought I was very odd! Maybe I should give knitting another try when I get my hand more mobile. But then, like you AliB, I already have other creative outlets!